Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Truth and Absolute Truth



I remember hearing a speech concerning the constitution.  The speaker was making the point that the founding fathers could not possibly foresee all of the future changes coming to our country and our society.  I totally agreed with this basic assumption, but he continued and in essence said that the constitution had to be interrupted different at different times depending on how society changed.  Being a good ole country boy I started thinking – what?  You see I thought changes to laws or the constitution was supposed to be made by the legislative branch or the system set up to make amendments to the constitution. 

In my opinion the constitution deals with basic truths. That is the reason it doesn’t need to be changed often and our wise founding fathers made it so difficult to change.  The assumption the speaker made was that there are no absolute truths.  There are absolute truths!  If you fall out of bed, 100 out of 100 times, you are going to go down.  Gravity is an absolute truth.  The sun rises in the east 100 out of 100 times. 

I submit that there are many more absolute truths, but one that my mom always told me was, “somebody has got to pay.”  A variation of this is, “there ain’t no free lunch.” 

According to a study done by George Mason University, approximately 49% of households in the U.S. receive some type of government benefits.



When there are more people receiving than paying, we are eventually doomed.  A few more absolute truths come to mind:





Just because you might choose not to believe these truths, does not make them any less true.  You don’t have to believe in gravity.  But to not believe in gravity you do so at your own peril.

We have become a society that worships at the altar of relativism and/or tolerance.  Tolerance of different thoughts or ideas is a good thing and has always been part of our great society.  Our current problem is we are confusing tolerance of ideas, with the concept of all ideas are equal.  Obviously, all ideas are not equal.  (When I first wrote this last paragraph, I didn’t have the last sentence in it.  It seems ludicrous to have to write it.  But then, I thought I better write it down because I think some people might actually question it.) 

Over the history of mankind, not observing moral and economic truths has always been followed by dire consequences.  Pray for our country.

David
www.smileteam4u.com
                       

Revolution or Revival
Free Stuff or Freedom



No comments:

Post a Comment