Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Snakes!




This is not a subject that I am especially fond of, but due to the recent events at my house, I thought I'd share some information.   My son and husband were in the yard throwing the baseball around and my son looked in our birdhouse to see if we had any baby birds.  Baby birds are not what he found!  We had a nice little snake.  After he and my husband got it out, they realized it was quite large ... about 4ft!  Being that it is illegal to kill snakes in Tennessee, they relocated it to a field near our house.  The next week, at the same tree, there was another one, this time not quite as big, only about 1 1/2ft.  He decided to shimmy up the tree to sun a little bit.  A few days later, there was a small one that had been hit in front of our house. Now, the most recent one was found in our garage.  YUCK!  Once again, my son and husband captured it, put it in a bucket and relocated it.  This one was about 4 ft, also.  It appeared that he had just had him a nice little snack, seeing how he had a lump about midway.  He was relocated as well.




My husband emailed Lisa Powers with Froghaven Farms (www.froghavenfarm.com). She is a Biologist/Herpetologist. She is a Biologist/Herpertologist. She identified the snake as Gray Ratsnake/Pantherophis Siploiddes. She said he is perfectly harmless.  We asked why we had seen so many recently.  Her response was the, due to the mild winter and all of the changes we had been experiencing with the weather the snakes are "out more".  We have seen several more in our neighborhood either dead in the road or slithering across the road.  Every time I see them slither, it gives me the shivers!



I posted the picture on my facebook page.  I have a friend that is very animal friendly.  She told me that if they had round eyes, they were good and if they had "cat eyes" they were NOT good.  I told her I was not going to look dreamily into the eyes to see if they were round or not.  Some other responses I received were: 
"Tastes like chicken."
"Looks like a mouse eater."
"Never coming to your house again, EVER!"
"In my book, a dead snake is a good snake."
"It's a snake, which means it is terrifying.  Period."

A friend of mine's husband teaches Science.  She told me that her husband did his Thesis on snakes and that if he sees one in the road, he will pull over and move it so it doesn't get hit.  

I know that snakes are one of God's creatures and they they have a purpose.  I don't have a problem with them if I don't see them and I do appreciate the job they do ... as long as I don't see them.  I looked up Tennessee snakes.  On the website, tennsnakes.org, they say that "Snakes are important to the environment and help to keep nature in balance."  While I know this is true, I still don't like them very much.   In Tennessee, there are 32 species of snakes.  Only 4 of these are venomous.

They also had a message posted from the TWRA:


In Tennessee, it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild, or possess native snakes taken from the wild without the proper permits.

Please help the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) to protect our native snakes. Do not remove snakes from the wild or release snakes that have been captive into the wild.

Once-captive snakes often don't survive in the wild and can introduce harmful diseases and parasites into the wild.


So, while I hope we don't find any more snakes around our house, I do hope they keep doing their job of eating mice, bugs, and things of that nature.   


-Holly Hughes, RDA
www.smileteam4u.com

3 comments:

  1. TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS
    This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure herpes, i never believe that this will work, i have spend a lot getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, it got to a time that i was waiting for is death to come because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man called Dr.Ekpiku who is well know for Herpes, HIV, and Cancer cure, i decided to email him I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it through Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office. they told me that 2-3 days I will receive the package and after receiving it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of the one week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me Herpes simplex virus negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital and was also negative, thank you for saving my life, I promise I will always testify of your good works. if you are herpes simplex virus patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via: ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com Or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All thanks to Dr Ekpiku for curing my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV with his herbal medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Ekpiku to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV of 5 is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr Ekpiku that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS . I was positive to the deadly Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw Dr Ekpiku testimony online on how he was cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that’s the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email now (ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com) or (ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com) him on whatsApp number:+2348073673757 or text/call me 16506538578..

    ReplyDelete