Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How Long Should You Wear Your Retainers?

Retainer - a fixed or removable appliance worn after the braces are removed. A removable retainer attaches to your upper and/or lower teeth and holds them in their finished positions. (http://www.mylifemysmile.org/)


Most likely, you have had braces or another orthodontic/orthopedic appliance and your orthodontist is trying to maintain the changes he or she made to your teeth. These changes are generally maintained with retainers. There are many types of retainers your orthodontist may use but they all serve a similar purpose: prevent the teeth from shifting. This phase is called retention and will, in many ways, determine the longevity/success of your treatment.

As you probably know, you are changing everyday. Either you are growing or you are aging; your mouth, teeth, and jaws are no exception to this change. Studies show that as you age, your nose and chin get closer together and the overall shape of your face changes. Because of these changes, it is extremely important to wear retainers. Many patients come into our office today who have never had braces but say their teeth are moving and becoming crooked. This is due to the aging process.

                                                            Woman at age 15 and at age 48



So, how long should you wear your retainers? Because of the changes your body goes through, due to aging, you should wear your retainers as instructed by your orthodontist indefinitely. Many times you can miss one and maybe even two nights wearing your retainer but, more than likely, your teeth will shift and your retainers may end up no longer fitting. Studies have shown that the lower teeth tend to move more rapidly and to a greater extent than the upper teeth. This is why, in our office, we place a bonded retainer from the lower cuspid to cuspid. For retention of the upper teeth, we provide you with an invisible retainer. We recommend if you want your teeth to stay precisely where they are, you should wear this every night while you sleep - indefinitely.


Though, retainers come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, they serve a similar purpose and it is extremely important that you follow the instructions given to you by your orthodontist. You have spent months wearing your appliance/braces and it would be a shame for all of that effort to go to waste.




-Chalice Fraser, RDA
www.smileteam4u.com

4 comments:

  1. TESTIMONY OF HOW I GOT CURED FROM HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS
    This is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure herpes, i never believe that this will work, i have spend a lot getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, it got to a time that i was waiting for is death to come because i was broke, one day i hard about this great man called Dr.Ekpiku who is well know for Herpes, HIV, and Cancer cure, i decided to email him I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it through Courier Service for delivery, he gave my details to the Courier Office. they told me that 2-3 days I will receive the package and after receiving it, i took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of the one week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me Herpes simplex virus negative, i thought it was a joke, i went to other hospital and was also negative, thank you for saving my life, I promise I will always testify of your good works. if you are herpes simplex virus patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via: ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com Or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All thanks to Dr Ekpiku for curing my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV with his herbal medicine, i do not have much to say but with all my life i will for ever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Ekpiku to reach me when i thought it was all over, today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS / HPV of 5 is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine. so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr Ekpiku that all hope is not lost yet, try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS . I was positive to the deadly Virus called HERPES and i lost hope completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw Dr Ekpiku testimony online on how he was cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from God! after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 4 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! that’s the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me! and if you need his help,contact his Email now (ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com) or (ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com) him on whatsApp number:+2348073673757 or text/call me 16506538578..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My herpes is cured and it's miracle healing. Thanks to Dr. Sam who cure my Genital Herpes

    I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Genital Herpes. I thought about my Family, how they will feel if they knew, i was also felling pains in my Anus and vagina. I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found about Dr. Sam on how he cured a lady with natural herbs, I decided to contact him through his mobile number, i also wrote him letter through his email address. he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he prepared a herbal remedy and send to me,when i received it, i started taking it as directed. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. Sam herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to God and very happy with my hubby and family. You can contact him through his email address on
    Email: supremecurehome@gmail.com

    His website: http://www.supremecurehome.blogspot.com
    Whatsapp/Call: +2347087462033






    My herpes is cured and it's miracle healing. Thanks to Dr. Sam who cure my Genital Herpes

    I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with Genital Herpes. I thought about my Family, how they will feel if they knew, i was also felling pains in my Anus and vagina. I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found about Dr. Sam on how he cured a lady with natural herbs, I decided to contact him through his mobile number, i also wrote him letter through his email address. he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he prepared a herbal remedy and send to me,when i received it, i started taking it as directed. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. Sam herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to God and very happy with my hubby and family. You can contact him through his email address on
    Email: supremecurehome@gmail.com

    His website: http://www.supremecurehome.blogspot.com
    Whatsapp/Call: +2347087462033

    ReplyDelete